Dimitris Stasinopoulos, 2002 Mazda Miata 1.8lt

CrystalBlue
MegaSquirt Newbie

Dimitris Stasinopoulos, 2002 Mazda Miata 1.8lt

Post by CrystalBlue »

Name: Dimitris Stasinopoulos

Vehicle: 2002 Mazda Miata/MX-5

Engine: 1.8lt, inline 4, 16v, VVT, 10:1 compression ratio

Injection: Port injection, alternating, 270cc injectors, stock manifold.

Description: Retrofitted a CAS from a '96 1.8 Miata - apparently you can't use the stock crank and cam sensors as they are incompatible, requiring many changes to the MS. I am using an external MAP sensor in the engine bay made from GM, I find it more convinient to route wires through the firewall than a vaccum hose. I am using the stock coolant and air temperature sensors. I measured the bias resistor in the stock ECU and based on the resistance/temperature plot of the said sensors (available in the Mazda service manual) I downloaded the proper sensor data using EasyTherm. For exhaust gas oxygen measurement, I got an LM-1 from Innovate Motorsports.

I generated a basic VE table using MegaTune, and once the car was warmed up using the stock ECU, I switched to MS and the idle was exactly as smooth as with the stock ECU - albeit a little too rich. At this point I am still tuning my air temperature correction and warmup settings, and things are looking great. Ignition and idle control (via a PWM idle control solenoid) are still left to the stock ECU, however I will also do ignition as soon as I am satisfied with my injection tuning.

I have an incar PC so I am able to checkout all running parameters without carrying a laptop with me all the time.

Obligatory pictures:
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Megasquirt MSnSe 029t - LM-1 Wideband Controller - GM 1 bar MAP - '96 CAS - InCar PC
CrystalBlue
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by CrystalBlue »

Update:

Got the ignition going today, as per the diyatotune.com instructions or 90-97 cars:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _miata.htm

As a test, I removed the MAF and revver her pretty hard - all fine. I set the cranking dwell to 4.0ms and running dwell to 2.2ms. After 3-4 minutes of idling the (stock) coilpacks were warm (but not hot) to the touch. The engine was alreay warmed up so the coilpacks were expected to be warm.

Jim
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Megasquirt MSnSe 029t - LM-1 Wideband Controller - GM 1 bar MAP - '96 CAS - InCar PC