'90 Miata w/NOW '01 VVT engine DIYPNP Megasquirt!

MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

'90 Miata w/NOW '01 VVT engine DIYPNP Megasquirt!

Post by MX5RACER »

Some details about the car...
It started out when I picked it up as a retired Spec Miata. It had the '90 short nose crank issue, which allowed me to get the car for a good price. I have since installed a '96 engine, which I have been running for the last year or so. Last month I took the Megasquirt plunge and ordered a DIYPNP unit based off a Microsquirt. More details about this unit can be found here: http://www.diypnp.com. I am very happy with the results so far. I went from opening the box to having the car running on some downloaded basemaps in about 5 hours. The best part was not having to cut a single wire in the car. I still have a long way to go as far as tuning goes, but the car runs better than it did on the stock ECU. I just have to fix a few issues like the idle, while the car idles smooth as silk, 1400 is a little higher than I would like. Anyway, enough talking, how about a dyno sheet? The RED line is the car's previous best on the stock ECU, the BLUE line is the last run I made the other night with the Megasquirt installed. Please remember that this is a basic tune with very little time spent working on it. You can see that if you look at the fuel curve, the waves show how untuned it really is.

Some details on the car that did not change between dyno runs:
'96 Engine
RACELAND brand Ebay header (I know... but I could not resist $90 shipped new)
Racing Beat intake elbow
Koyo Monster radiator
RX-7 AFM (Was removed for the Megasquirt runs)
'96 Crossover tube with the stock chamber in place

Again, the RED line is the car's previous best on the stock ECU, the BLUE line is the last run I made the other night with the Megasquirt installed.
'97 engine w-Megasquirt.pdf
Here is a picture of the completed unit. I have since installed four more wires to control the stock fuel pump and also to enable launch control. :mrgreen:
Photo0129.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MX5RACER on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ianferrell
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: '90 Miata w/'96 engine DIYPNP Megasquirt!

Post by ianferrell »

What code are you running? Mind posting your .msq file? We're running an almost identical setup and it'd be nice to have a good launchpad :)
MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by MX5RACER »

ianferrell wrote:What code are you running? Mind posting your .msq file? We're running an almost identical setup and it'd be nice to have a good launchpad :)
I will try to remember to upload a current msq when I get home.
ianferrell
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ianferrell »

MX5RACER wrote:
ianferrell wrote:What code are you running? Mind posting your .msq file? We're running an almost identical setup and it'd be nice to have a good launchpad :)
I will try to remember to upload a current msq when I get home.
Made it home yet? lol.
MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by MX5RACER »

Completely forgot. I will get this posted up tonight.
2010-05-12_09.07.34.msq
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krzych31

Post by krzych31 »

your msq is rely fine
do you have any new one after some tuning
MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by MX5RACER »

BIG CHANGES I have removed my '96 engine in favor of a 2001! I am now running off the 99+ crank and cam sensors instead of the '90 CAS. I am also now using the 2001 throttle body, with the VTPS and idle valve. I used a '99 fuel rail and bought a remote 1:1 fuel pressure regulator and am running at 60psi of fuel pressure with the '2001 injectors. I have also swapped out the '90 coils and ignitor for a set of Toyota COP's (Coil on plugs). I loaded in the DIYAUTOTUNE 99 basemaps and made the changes to the dwell for the COP set-up and ran the car. The car felt sluggish and held back, so imported my ignition and fuel tables from the '96 map and ran it. Car feels good, but is running super rich. I drove around and used the Autotune feature in Tunerstudio, which has been removing fuel from the table. I then went back and reviewed the new lightly corrected fuel map and noticed that the numbers are very close to the '99 DIYAUTOTUNE basemap. I used the DIY basemap and brought the values into my fuel table and have started to refine them from there. I should have dyno numbers soon, with a VVT Tuner install completed down the line. Let me know if anyone would like the new msq posted.
GraemeD
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: '90 Miata w/NOW '01 VVT engine DIYPNP Megasquirt!

Post by GraemeD »

looks like I am building a clone, well it is a 94' with a 01 VVT head. I have the DIYPnP, VVTuner, RB header, flat top IM, 11:1 pistons. I will also be using the Toyota COP set up.

I would love to see your tune and if you have it, the VVT map if it differant from the bas map.
MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by MX5RACER »

I do not have my laptop with me here at the office, so I cannot post my msq right now. I do not have the VVT Tuner yet, so I cannot help you there. I will try to remember to post my current msq sometime this week.

MX5RACER
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by MX5RACER »

Here is my current MSQ.