COLIN SMITH UK 1988 VW GOLF GTI WITH DYNO

rubadubtub
MegaSquirt Newbie

COLIN SMITH UK 1988 VW GOLF GTI WITH DYNO

Post by rubadubtub »

COLIN SMITH
1988 VW GOLF GTI
1.8 liter 8v four pot, DIY gas flowed head, exhaust manifold, throttle body and intercooler, g60 pistons and rods,
port injection, t3 turbo
Mail smiffie2002@yahoo.co.uk if you want pics or have any questions :?:
Using v3 board and MSnSe 024s13c code.
Car fired up, rich but running, need to get out the shed before the o2 runs out !
I cut a connector from an old ecu and made a bridging loom from ms to the car loom, this means that there is NO ALTERATION to the engine bay loom, simply remove standard ecu and fit homemade interface cable, tps will be a slide pot linked to the throttle linkage, o2 sensor bung welded into downpipe.

at Kames driven by Kevin Conlan, car is very quiet which made it look slow on the track,
times were respectable, car has full interior and was on road tyres

Other cars:
my friends 3dr sierra/merkur 24v cosworth viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22674

my friends mk1 golf/rabbit 20v turbo viewtopic.php?f=88&t=22952&p=144268#p144268
Last edited by rubadubtub on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 am, edited 11 times in total.
ms must have been designed for turbocharging!
go on, fit a turbo "you know you want to"
rubadubtub
MegaSquirt Newbie

Running good

Post by rubadubtub »

i have now got round to getting the car road legal, :D

had an issue with my tps causing some serious overfuelling, at the moment i have selected the map sensor for acc. enrichment and all is well.

ran the car for a while with autotune running and the wastegate wide open to eliminate any boost, very pleased with the results (narrow band)

next up is to reconnect the actuator with about 3lbs and put the wideband in place, i will probably use datalogs first of all but will later use afr target tables.

to set spark i will be using my homebrew det cans see:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0348

how easy !

big headphones would probably help (to damp unwanted noise) or in ear headphones with ear defenders over the top :yeah!:
Last edited by rubadubtub on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ms must have been designed for turbocharging!
go on, fit a turbo "you know you want to"
rubadubtub
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: COLIN SMITH UK 1988 VW GOLF GTI

Post by rubadubtub »

i need to post some video of this car, boost currently set at a conservative half bar, due to be upped shortly, midrange pull is very good, when you initially put your foot down boost will come up to .8 bar then settle down to .48ish, i have had several freinds drive while i set things up, all of which drive turbo motors, there comments make me feel reel good :yeah!:

rev limit is set to 6200 rpm,my current clocks ONLY go to 120mph, without the turbo the car used to pull 6100rpm in 5th due to the gas flowed head (standard ecu) at half bar i have already seen it pull 6200 in 5th, deisel gearbox could be an option but im more into twisty roads than flat out speed, the needle on the speedo was almost pointing straight to the floor (what a buzz) obviously these speeds were achieved on the autobhan in germany :lol:

aug 08 boost now at approx. 0.8 bar and the car is most fun to drive,specially since the gti badge is gone and a cl badge is in position :lol:

dyno run, date is incorrect, should be 10aug 2008 engine was running 0.8 bar 11 psi 95 octane. very pleased with the result no sign of detonation