390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Post by 64 Ford »

It runs! I'm using a MS 2 V3 code 2.881, NB O2, EDIS. and 19lb injectors. It started on the third try! I'm using mainly Ford parts since I had a EEC-IV on it, but wanted the ability to tune it, so I bought the Megasquirt.

The three lessons learned when building the MS are read, take your time, read, ask questions (or search the forum), read again and take your time. It was intimidating assembling at first, but reading/studying the manual, using the correct tools, and having patience has led to success. Every hiccup I had with it came down to re-reading very carefully and finding a small detail I overlooked. The guys at DIYAutotune have been outstanding with any help or questions I had.

The next step will be a WB O2 sensor, a FI 460 Ford "gooseneck", bigger TB, and 22-24 Lb injectors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
64 Ford
packrat99
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by packrat99 »

What intake are you using? I currently have a Performer on my 390 with a Megasquirted Holley Projection, but I want to go to port injection, so am looking for an EFI manifold that will fit. I can probably machine my Performer if I have to, there's plenty of room on that big 390.
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Post by 64 Ford »

packrat99,
I'm using a Weiand intake (7282); all the runners are the same height. I made my own fuel injector bungs from sparkplug anti-foulers. I also made my own fuel rails from fuel rail stock bought from Force EFI. I'll try and get some better pics posted.

64 Ford
64 Ford
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by UNTAMND »

How is the car running now, any more progress. I have ms on a few projects and have been having difficultys tuning them to run in my climate, which is central Maine and 20 degrees lately. When the temp is around 35-40 the 2.3 turbo ranger starts and runs fairly well, but to get it from being real rich at zero load throughout the rpm range is tough. I havent yet driven it because the clutch needs to be bled, which is a problem of its own, but im still trying to get it to rev quick as well. Anyway, I would like some inspiration, im a ford guy and have been thinking about putting ms on my 67 mustang, I already have it on my 94 turbo mustang and a customers honda accord turbo, which are still in the process of being tuned, but the reading has made my blind, ive read everything I have come across and I still cant figure some things out. What has been the primary place you have read to help tune your car.
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

UNTAMND,
It's running OK, I've been driving it about 5 miles to work & back. I've learned to change one thing at a time & record/document what the result is. A few good sources of info I've used are the Ford EEC-IV book by Probst, Fuel Injection installation, performance tuning, and modifications by Jeff HArtman (ISBN 0-87938-743-2) and a article I found on the net called TECHNICAL NOTES ON THE EEC-IV MCU. As far as tuning I think it comes down to sensing what the engine wants/reading plugs/watching temps/smelling the exhaust/tracking vacuum at a given rpm. I also broke out the calculator a few times; for example when creating the VE table I used an old Chiltons to figure out what the torque and rpm peaks should be for a 390 4V. It put me pretty close, but I want to install the JAW (wide band O2) to make it spot on. I also want to be of the brave souls to run a MAF meter (going to use a 100mm unit from a 32V Lincoln). If I had to do an install on another car, I'd want to collect as much data as I could to help set up a rough base line to go from. Hope it this helps.

64 Ford
In the words of Obiwan "patience young Jedi"
64 Ford
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 update

Post by 64 Ford »

I purchased a JAW but am having problems with it (see my posts on the JAW forums), but haven't installed it yet. I did find a bunch of leaks in my headers (25 years old). Pulled one off last weekend and spent about 4 hours fixing pin holes. Big difference; had to revamp the whole VE table becuse so much air was entering the exhaust throwing off the NB O2 sensor. Thinking of swapping to back to stock exhaust manifolds; anyone need very used headers for a 390 in a 64 Ford?. Put in 26Lb injectors from a 32V 4.6 Lincoln, big improvement over the 19lb ones. Still fabbing up the 460 "gooseneck" & 4.6l 32V throttle body. I'll post pics when I get it done.
64 Ford
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by UNTAMND »

I dont know what manifolds are offered for your car, but i have been very tempted to get the 428cj manifolds to put on my 67 mustang. I can not stand the headers because of the leaks and gasket blowing out. I have the 428cj heads on my car now, and they have 4 bolts per port, and even with the 4 bolts per tube, I still blow out the gasket. I finally got the passenger side swapped out again, this time for a copper gasket, 4 hours later. The drivers side is much tighter, and like the pass side, half the bolts need to be done from the bottom of the car, im not looking forward to another 6 hour gasket change.

Awesome to hear that your car is going better, im very tempted to do ms on my car as well, id like to get dual throttlebodys so i didnt have to ruin a vintage dual quad lowriser intake, but if i got a blue thunder medium riser id do it in a heartbeat.

what exactly are you doing with the 460 waterneck, and what is a JAW(sorry for not looking it up)

Is there any way you could send me your ms tune, and a quick list of your mods, UNTAMND@gmail.com
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

UNTAMND,
I to have had the PITA of gasket blow out. I bought some of the copper ones off E-bay awhile back and they work great. I use FelPro Copper Ultra RTV and it seals up great. My heads have the standard FE bolt pattern, so I have to find a set for a car; maybe I'll get lucky on my next trip to the pick-n-pull. I posted my msq to give you a baseline, but you'll still have to make it match your combination. I'd say its at the 75% solution until I get the exhaust fixed.

The JAW is Just Another Wideband controller usinga 2002 VW Jetta 1.8L Turbo WB sensor part # 17014 ($50.XX at Adavnce Auto parts). Pretty easy to put together, appears to be very easy to hookup to MS. But I've run into a few snags with it (challenges to be overcome). I have to shrink the pics I took to ad to the post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
64 Ford
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

As promised pics of the 4.6l thottle body & the next step, a 460 gooseneck with a 32V Lincoln Throtlle body.
64 Ford
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

How I mounted the EDIS trigger & wheel on the front of the engine. Ain't pretty, but it works. Used the two front oil pan bolts w/spacers.
64 Ford